Summer in New York City for the uptown crowd means meeting up for dinner and drinks in Harlem. In the past two weeks alone, I’ve been to Harlem about five times for different occasions – all involving happy announcements and send-offs to new transitions. When in Harlem, where do you go? Below are some of my favorite spots.
Favorite Restaurants in Harlem right now:
1. Cheri Harlem – This restaurant is a gem of a hiding spot right in the middle of Lenox Avenue. A brownstone reimagined, there’s a tiny front courtyard for light drinks and bites with a fireplace as soon as you step in with an intimate seating space by the bar. A chandelier and a piano ground the spot, while plates with pop-culture icons like Prince, Liza Minnelli adorn the tables. The back patio is an urban oasis with an open roof and lush greenery. The francophile menu options make this feel very bourgier than it actually is, so this is the perfect place to take someone you’re trying to impress. I recommended Cheri Harlem to a friend for a business meeting the other day, I took a friend and his boyfriend here last week to celebrate their move to Philly, and I’ve attended an intimate birthday party here. This is definitely a place you visit at least once.
2. Angel of Harlem – If you are looking for a good time with good food, Angel of Harlem is for you. This is a multi-purpose venue for special events, brunches, and entertainment. I’ve been here and seen people dance and sweat until they couldn’t stand, sit and have a meal that they didn’t want to finish, and comedy shows that left my belly aching. You are more than likely to catch those in Harlem’s “it-crowd” here on any given day of the week. The food here is delicious (get the chicken and waffles!) and so are the beautiful folks that frequent the place.
3. Chai Wali – This is a phenomenal restaurant owned by a spectacular woman! I mentioned Anita Trehan in my Wedding post – she owns the entire brownstone! Her rental spaces are upstairs and Chai Wali is on the ground floor (we stayed in the brownstone for our wedding weekend). This is a great place to take your friends who are vegan/gluten-free without sacrificing the taste. The indian fare is fresh, seasoned well and the chai is to die for. There’s also a sweet patio in the back that looks straight out of a fairy tale, another place to take people you want to impress!
Favorite Places for Live Entertainment and Music right now:
4. Gin Fizz Harlem – Gin Fizz is one of my new favorite haunts. It has an exciting buzz in the air on Friday nights, where live music floats through the air of this intimate space. I love to grab a stool at the bar (you’re lucky if you grab one of the few tables here!) and just watch the people come in and out. Ascending the steep staircase to Gin Fizz is well worth it to get a slice of the new energy milling around here.
5. Silvana – Silvana is off of Frederick Douglass Blvd, also considered the Restaurant Row of Harlem at this point. Another venue jam packed with energy and life, this is always somewhere I make my way to after dinner or drinks on the boulevard. I’m not quite sure how to food is here, but the spirit and the music is always high!
Also, I’m sharing this culotte jumpsuit from Gwynnie Bee that I’m in love with because it’s an easy piece I can throw on for a pulled-together look while I’m out on the town in Harlem. Try Gwynnie Bee free for 30 days yourself!
Jumpsuit: Gwynnie Bee
Round Handbag: Amazon Fashion